Have you ever made homemade bone broth?
Try this homemade bone broth recipe and have healing homemade bone broth within a couple of hours, using your Instant Pot.
I always thought bone broth would be tedious and complicated to make. But as it turns out, you can do it quite simply in your Instant Pot within a couple of hours.
Bone broth has unique healing properties for the gut lining and is great for immune and brain health, among many other health benefits. So, it’s a great addition to your diet.
Honestly, it’s taken me a long time to come around to bone broth, as my diet is primarily vegetarian. I’d hoped I could get what my body needed otherwise but was still feeling depleted. I finally gave into drinking this broth after a recent fast, and it has made a difference in my gut health.
For many vegetarians, I do believe you can get what you need in other ways. We’re all different and have different needs. I highly recommend figuring out what works for you as an individual. If being vegetarian is what works for you the best, then by all means make vegetable broth instead.
I think I’ve figured out a way to make it taste good, even for someone who is primarily vegetarian. You’ll only need a handful of fresh ingredients, including a beef bone of course. If you prefer to use chicken bones, check out this chicken broth recipe.
It’s important to stick to good quality beef bones for this broth in order to get the most benefit and avoid excess toxins including heavy metals. I recommend using bones that are grass-fed or pasture-raised with no added antibiotics or hormones, and organic if possible. Bones with marrow in the middle offer extra health benefits as well.
Check with your local health food store or butcher for good quality beef bones.
Homemade Bone Broth, Instant Pot
- Instant Pot
- 1 Large beef bone broth marrow including is great
- 1 Large onion, chopped in large chunks keep skin and ends on all veggies
- 3 Large carrots, chopped in large chunks
- 4 Large celery stalks, chopped in large chunks
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Sea salt or Himalyan salt
- 10-12 Cups Filtered water
- Place bone in an oven safe dish and roast for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. This will improve the flavor of your broth. This is an optional step. If you're short on time, you can simply put the bones in your instant pot with all other ingrediets and start cooking.
- Add cool water and vinegar and let sit for 30 minutes. This will help make the nutrients more available. Again this step is optional.
- Add all other ingredients to the Instant Pot and cook on "Manual" for 2 hours. Then naturally or quick-release the pot.
- Remove bone and strain with a fine mesh strainer to get all solids out of the broth.
- Let cool and then skim and dispose of fat from top of broth. This will make it taste much less oily.
- Use right away or store in fridge for up to 5 days and in freezer for up to 2 months.