This recipe for homemade ketchup is so simple and easy and a great way to avoid those added sugars and preservatives found in store-bought ketchup.
Making your own dips, dressings, and sauces at home allows you to know what ingredients are in your food. It also allows you to control the amount and source of sugars and salt you add, which can be a game-changer in taking control of your health.
People with food sensitivities can react to all kinds of things, making home cooking and food prep an important part of finding relief from these challenges.
Try this recipe at home and let me know what you think!
Try this simple and delicious homemade ketchup to avoid added sugars and preservatives found in store-bought ketchup.
- 1 7 oz jar or can of tomato paste
- 2 1/2 TBL apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 TBL honey or maple syrup or 2-3 drops liquid stevia to taste
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan or sea salt more to taste
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2/3 cup filtered water If thick, add more water
- Add all ingredients, except honey or maple syrup, to a medium saucepan
- Bring to a boil and then turn down to simmer for 20 minutes, allow to simmer mostly covered to prevent hot tomato splashes
- Add more water if the sauce thickens more than you would like
- Remove from heat and stir in honey or maple syrup
- Allow to cool and store in a glass jar in the fridge
My kids like ketchup, so I double this recipe each time