This is one of my all-time favorite soups. The mix of hearty lentils and lightly cooked greens in a broth of coconut cream and turmeric is perfect for a filling and warming meal on a fall or winter evening (although we eat this one year-round).
This recipe includes a beautiful combination of healing spices. Turmeric is anti-inflammatory and turns the soup a soft golden color. Along with cumin and oregano, the flavor profile of this soup is so good!
Be sure to add the kale after the soup is removed from the heat, allowing it to be only lightly cooked and delivering more of the valuable nutrients and vitamins found in kale.
French Lentil, Turmeric Stew
This is my favorite lentil soup of all time! It's both nutritious and delicious. The coconut milk, white vinegar, and spice combination are a beautiful blend for your senses. This soup is great to eat immediately or have on hand in the refridgerator for leftovers.
- 1 Tablespoons Avocado oil
- 1 Yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 2-3 Medium Carrots diced
- 2-3 Medium Celery stalks chopped
- 1 teaspoons Oregano or thyme dried or fresh chopped
- 2 teaspoons Turmeric
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- 1 Jar of diced tomatoes and juices 14 oz
- 7 cups Vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup French green lentils
- 3 cups Kale or other similar greens chopped
- 1/2 Can of coconut milk cream or more if you want this extra creamy
- 1 Tablespoon White wine vinegar and more to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt and more to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Heat avocado oil on medium heat; saute onion, garlic, & 2 pinches of salt until onions are soft (~3-5 minutes). Stir in carrots and celery and cook for a couple more minutes. Stir in cumin, oregano, and turmeric. Then add tomatoes (including juices), lentils, and broth or water. Simmer uncovered 35-40 minutes until lentils are done (when they are soft and squish easily). Turn off heat and stir in greens, coconut milk or cream, white wine vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- I double this recipe and cook in the instant pot for 17 minutes on manual. Saute onions and garlic 3-5 minutes; add carrots, celery, and spices cook a few more minutes; add tomatoes, 4 cups of broth, and lentils. Fill to the 10 cup line with filtered water. Cook on manual for 17 minutes, then quick release and add in vinegar, coconut cream, greens, salt, and pepper seasoned to taste.