Elderberry is loaded with antioxidants and vitamins and is a great immune booster. This syrup is easy to make and tastes delicious ~ my kids beg for more! This recipe also includes raw honey, cinnamon, and clove which have antioxidant and antimicrobial properties.
Keep this delicious syrup on hand and enjoy 1 teaspoon daily during cold and flu season.
- 2/3 cup dried elderberries
- 2 -2 1/2 Tablespoons Fresh ginger grated or finely chopped
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup raw honey organic is best
- Add all ingredients and bring to a boil
- Cover and reduce to a simmer for 45 minutes (will reduce too much if left uncovered)
- Remove from heat and let cool to lukewarm
- Strain syrup to remove solids
- Add honey while lukewarm and stir to mix
- Pour into a glass bottle and store in the refridgerator
- For adults enjoy 1 teaspoon - 1 Tablespoon daily during cold and flu season. For Kids 1/2 - 1 teaspoon daily.
Some people prefer to take only when they feel something coming on so their system does not get used to it.